Meditation at MAPLE
We use two primary frameworks for meditation, The Jade Method and Unified Mindfulness. Learn more about the background of our approach to meditation , or read on for an overview of these methods.
– Shinzen Young –
Unified Mindfulness gives a radically clear, practical and empowering approach to the art of meditation. It makes use of noting, a technique in which we mentally label different aspects of our experience.
Additional Talks, Guided Meditations, and Retreat Recordings
- Observe. Cultivate. Inquire. Do Nothing: Day-Long Retreat (Video)
Led by Shinzen Young
- August 2018 6-day retreat (Audio)
- Appreciate Self, Transcend Self, Express Spontaneity, Nurture Positivity: April 2016 Day-Long Retreat (Video)
- Appreciate the Senses, Transcend the Self, Express the Source: August 2016 Day-Long Retreat (Video)
- Four Ways to Monasticize Your Day: July 2016 Day-Long Retreat (Video, skip to 1 hour mark)
- May 2017 Day-Long Retreat (Video)
- Spaciousness: July 2017 Day-Long Retreat (Video)
- See, Hear, Feel, & Auto-Move: June 2018 Day-Long Retreat (Video)
Led by John Murphy, Level Two Unified Mindfulness Coach
The Jade Method
– Soryu Forall –
The Jade Method provides a balanced and accessible approach to aligning body and mind in meditation. It highlights the importance of aligning the posture, noting the presence of mental hindrances, cultivating the breath, and rousing great intentions.
The premise is simple. We start with a question:
- How can I give my body, mind and life completely to Great Love for the benefit of all beings?
- To the extent that you know the answer, let it guide your actions, so that any actions, thoughts and feelings, or aspects of your lifestyle that are not in accordance with what you already know and believe are actively put in accord.
- Whether your steps are big or small, take them incessantly and completely.
- To the extent that you are doing this, the rest of the method will have meaning and power.
To practice this method requires additional context. If you’d like to learn more, we recommend the book Maple Seeds, an excerpt of which is available as a free download. Maple Seeds describes the technique and provides a conceptual framework for practicing it, through detailed transcripts of talks and guided meditations by Soryu Forall presenting this technique.