We believe that Service to something greater than ourselves
is a form of training for the mind, heart, and soul.
Spiritual Practice Through Service
The Monastic Academy offers a unique training opportunity that combines:
- Loving community (or sangha)
- Monastic forms, structure, and rigor
- Transformative mindfulness practices (with various retreats each month)
- Cooking, cleaning, outdoor work, and other tasks that support the organization
This is an intense meditation and personal development training that gives you a rare set of skills and experiences for life. We welcome anyone to apply for this program, no matter their age, gender, or cultural upbringing.
- Learn more about the training and our Ecology of Practices.
- See a copy of our daily schedule (subject to change).
- Meet us: Who lives at the Monastic Academy?
This training is not for everyone, and that’s okay. We expect people coming here to take personal agency for their own mental and emotional well-being and to make a sovereign choice about what’s needed on their particular path.
If you are inspired to take advantage of this unique opportunity, feel free to fill out an interest form below. If you would like to see this place for yourself before applying, feel free to visit as a guest.
The program includes:
- 3+ hours of daily meditation
- Monthly special programs and/or silent meditation retreats
- Weekly talks and workshops led by residents and teachers
- 2 healthy vegan meals each day
- Supportive, authentic community of full-time residents
- Opportunities to demonstrate your wisdom and leadership
- 1 hour of daily physical exercise
- Beautiful land and forests, with miles of hiking trails
– Lindita Camaj
– George Lestner
– Ashley Wolf
– Claribel Wu
I wanted to come practice. From the day I showed up, that’s what was happening. Everyone was practicing and motivating me. From the silent chore time to the meals, from the food to the low lights in the Zendo in the evening, there are so many details here that promote a good quality of practice.
And the contrast of people also just having so much fun, and jumping in the pond, and cooking yummy food together, and cuddling, all of that—it’s so unique. I don’t know if another place like this exists in the world. MAPLE is doing it. It’s doing the real thing.
I learned how to sing the past two weeks—I’ve never sung that much in my life. I’ve cried six times in the past two weeks. I’ve cried six times in the past two years! It feels so good. Yes. Finally.
– Sam Greenwood